On the way to Mauritius

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the way to Mauritius

Stopover in Dubai, heading to Mauritius...
    Pics show tallest building on earth, Burj Khalifa, over 800m tall and my collapsible Hotcurl in the hotel room...
    The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4448.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	5038 Mauritius got nice looking waves, but unfortunately almost nobody is surfing. It is surrounded by reefs, with quite nice looking waves, but the waves (and reefs) are far from the beach. I saw only one surfer at one of the designated surf spots and he told me it is a 20 min. (!) paddle to get outside...
    So we headed to Tamarin Bay, the wave, which made Mauritius famous as a surf destination. Magic Seaweed showed a quite perfect day...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4447.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	5037 ...

But arrived there at high tide, almost no waves to be seen. Five surfers in the water, which got a very small one once in a while. Being flown 9000 miles I assembled the board and paddled 200m to get into the line-up. The surfers turned out to be kids of about 10-14 years old.
    I tried to catch one or two higher waves, but as soon as I felt the board gaing speed and getting into the wave, it stalled. Not even a belly ride possible. Quite dissapointed I left after an hour...
    The only chance to surf will be saturday, woth a higher forecast..., I'm still hoping to get at least one wave here....
    Besides surfing its a tropical dream.

Comment

Home again, not a single wave surfed, we visited the favourited spot on saturday, we saw surfable waves from hip to chesthigh. But nobody around, neither in the water nor the beach or parking lot. I'm to old to surf in unknown waters alone on my one, so I did not dare to jump in. In total, despite some kids I saw only three surfers in total, two close to the last visited beach, and one at a spot where you had to paddle 20min to get into the lineup. Three surfers in almost 14 days on a tropical island surrounded by reefs, unbelievable...

Comment

Working...
      X