Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paddling, the underestimated sport behind surfing....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddling, the underestimated sport behind surfing....

Actually I'm writing this, because I was one of the poorest paddler on earth.
    Surfing finally means paddling and surveys show, that we spent about 90% of our time paddling and less than 10% of riding waves.
    As stated above, I was a poor paddler, if I had to paddle more than 100m to get into the lineup, even with not many waves pushing me back, I almost lost all my powers. I had to wait at least 10 min to refresh before I could even think of attacking a wave. And one some days I did not even attack one, because I knew I would have to paddle back some meters again. And after some days of surfing I had severe pains in my upper arm, just below the shoulder...

Finally this meant, that I do something really wrong. Of course I'm not a Michael Phelps nor a Kelly Slater, and I past 50 years of age, but I realized that I must do something really wrong.
    Since then I started watching all paddling and freestyle swimming related youtube videos and finally I found, what could help me. An internet surfing paddling course...

I subscribed to it and started the programm. I was glad, that you do not need an ocean to follow, not even a pool. All lessons are guided by detailled explanations and videos and are offered in three ways, ocean, pool and land-locked. Since I live in central germany, where private pools are not that common, I had to stick to the latest and found myself everyday exercising, on first sight strange things on a simple gymnastic or yoga ball.
    For example I found myself lying on a ball, just the toes touching the ground, roling from side to side and thinking "horizontal", or "head down". Or I just hinged my ellbow and moved my hand from side to side and thought something like "feel the water", of "grab a rung of a ladder" or "over the barrel".

My wife thought I'm going totally nuts now...

But there is a working concepts behind it. The idea is to break the paddling cycle into little segments and get these segments and finally movements into the so called "muscle memory".

Last week was the proof of concept, I went for a 4 days surftrip to Portugal and it really worked. Actually I'm really stoked. I paddled with less effort, and much faster. I paddled out and was still in good shape, I had two sessions a day of up to two hours and after the four days, I did not have any pain in my arms. In the past after 2 hours I was not really able to lift my arm.... and I'm still not completely through all the courses lessons....

To differenciate this thread from pure spamming, I place another thread in the market sections, because I think this course can really help those poor paddlers like I was. For me it was worth every penny spent....
    The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Thanks Surfdude!

Originally posted by Surfdude View Post

To differenciate this thread from pure spamming, I place another thread in the market sections, because I think this course can really help those poor paddlers like I was. For me it was worth every penny spent....
    https://www.woodboardforum.com/forum...addling-course
    Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Good stuff Surfdude. Fitness certainly matters in the lineup. I've used lap swimming in the past and that worked great for surf fitness. But as you point out, it you don't have access to a pool or body of water that's a no go! :-)
      Randy http://clearwoodpaddleboards.com/
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW...E0CzWCHvzwiVJQ

Comment

Surfdude, I agree with you. It's important for older guys like me to keep in shape. There are three things that I focus on. First is stretching. Second is a daily exercise routine. Third is paddling out even if it means on a boogie board session. My daily routine includes push-up and squats. It help a lot with my pop-up. For me the trick is to stick to it everyday. If there is surf, then I just stretch and do half my amount of squats and push-ups. A good diet also helps.
        Last edited by woodylogic; 06-23-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X