Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying with a vented wooden surfboard, will it explode?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with a vented wooden surfboard, will it explode?

Hello all,

I'm planning to go on a surftrip to test my new hollow wooden surfboard (7'6") in may of this year. I've installed a M6 (1/4") vent plug.

I am wondering if the board will release its air when the plane is ascending to 10.000m (33.000 ft). The air pressure at that height is about 0.3 bar instead of 1 bar at sea level. This means that the air volume in the board expands. At sea level there will be 56 liters of air in my board, but due the decreased pressure it will blow out air until there is 16,8 liters (0.3 bar * 56 l) left. This means that - during the climb of the aircraft - about 39 liters has to evacuate the board, through a hole of 6 mm diameter (1/4 ")

My question is, what are the possibilities of failure due to the increased inside board pressure, causing an eventual break? Has anyone of you any experience with this?

You go! I've been flying with non wented boards.
    primenta.se - Composites and repairs

Comment

Just open the valve and nothing will happen (I actually remove the screw) If the pressure changes outside, it changes inside, that is exactly why you need the valve. And it does not change from 1 bar to 0.3 in one second. Just open it and go wherever you want. The only thing always is to close it, prior heading for surf

And the pressure change is not that high, because the baggage department is pressurized in the same way as the cabin.
      The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Comment

Originally posted by svenne View Post
        You go! I've been flying with non wented boards.
        Never had a problem with a non vented board? Not during flight, I do not see a big risk their, but at the beach, in the sun, in the water, if temperature drops? Why use vents then?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckbeard View Post

Never had a problem with a non vented board? Not during flight, I do not see a big risk their, but at the beach, in the sun, in the water, if temperature drops? Why use vents then?
          There are many non vented boards. I own at least five of them.

Comment

Hollow wooden, without vents? And no problems at all, what do we need then the vent? I had a bodyboard, hollow, which delaminated after 15 min sun...
            Maybe we should open a new thread on this in the design section...

Comment

Originally posted by Surfdude View Post
              Hollow wooden, without vents? And no problems at all, what do we need then the vent? I had a bodyboard, hollow, which delaminated after 15 min sun...
              Maybe we should open a new thread on this in the design section...
              The OP asked about flying with a board and his board has a vent. I pointed out that flying with a board with or without a vent is not an issue.
              I have five EPS boards, all without vents.
              They have been in Portugal and Spain many times and still they haven't popped.

I do have a wooden board without a vent too actually.

Comment

We just flew a board from Rio to Lisbon with no damage (10 hour flight) . Vent open, of course.
                go for it.

Comment

De onde va surfar?

Comment

Working...
                  X