Surf fitness, what do you do...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf fitness, what do you do...

I'd rather go surfing every day to stay in shape, but I can only surf on vacations. In the past I more or less did nothing and becoming older I felt the powers dropping. It almost takes a week to have the same paddling powers that you have had at the end of your surf holidays a year before (and of course they are not many). Depending on the waves, its hard to get out on the first days....

This year I decided I have to do something, I bought myself a little app for my Ipad, its called 5min home training, and every morning, I do 5min exercises for arm and upper body and 5 minutes for the belly. Within the 5 minutes you have to make 5 or 6 exercises of max. one minute and the exercises change randomly day by day. 10min only 5 times a week and it really works, at least, my fitness level rose. I started with 10 push ups in one minute for example and now I'm doing 25. Sometimes 3 out of the 5 exercises are push-ups, for example one minute normal push ups, one minute pushups with hand distance wide and narrow or with the feet resting on a step. The third push up exercise is very hard then, if I go beyond 10 or 15, I'm glad, but then I had made 50 pushups in 5 minutes....
    And since 3 weeks I own a rowing machine. Since you should start slowly I usually row 5min only to warm up, then do my exercises above, or I row 15-20 min, which may be extended up to one hour or more during time.

I hope this will help and that I will be able to paddle with much more endurance. Last year to get to Ngor Right, you had to paddle 300-500m to reach the lineup and after that I was't really able to surf more than two or three times, because after the surf, you had to paddle the 300m back additionally. Beginning of October I will see, if all the action really helped...

What are you, (who don't surf regularly), doing, to keep your paddling powers up?
    The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Are you doing any work on your core at all?

Comment

The body and arms exercises use often dumbbells, belly is for belly and the rowing is for endurance, and 80% of all body muscles. Swimming would be nice, but we don't have pool...

Comment

I would throw something specific for your core in - I like Shaun T / Insanity one. Quite short as sessions go and no sit ups. I've done some of Shaun Vigue's off youtube as well. Anything will help!

Comment

Overhead press for paddle speed. Anything overhead is best. That is key.

Hamstring fly and hip abductor lift for flexibility.

Woodchops also good if you got a band or cable...for cutbacks

Comment

Originally posted by Stew View Post
            Are you doing any work on your core at all?
            I do yoga for core & flexibility. Though I need to work on all other aspects mainly endurance .
            My sister swears by her balance board for core. Seems easy enough to make or cheap enough to buy.
            Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Rowing is good have a concept II at work, get your technique correct though or possible problems (get someone to show you that knows what they are doing or the tubeofyou) push ups, burpees (king of exercise) search youtube for body weight exercises cause you don't require anything else except your desire to do them and no cost.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw this is a taste.
              also keep changing them so you don't get stale
              when rowing change what you do ie one day go for a distance ie 5 ks at a pace that you can hold easily next day do intervals ie 500 metres at a pace harder than the one you would do the distance at, rest, then repeat and so on. change your grip on the rowing do underhand grip, it works different muscles. Using rower to warm up before exercise is a great idea.
              also there is a Joel Parkinson fitness app couple of bucks but has a squillion exercises and you can choose your target area and the exercises for that area appear. having said all this i am still overweight "FITNESS STARTS IN THE KITCHEN" you cannot out run/exercise your ability to stick food (calories) in your gob.

Comment

Yap, rowing is not bad, although long distance (which is about 5km at my rowing beginner stage) is as boring as jogging I do exactly, what you describe, if I do my arm and body 5min exercises I usually row 5 min at low speed and power just to warm up. The real good thing about a rower, that you do not need nothing than the rower. If you got time, you just use it, no hassle to prepare, no running shoes, whatever. But with every exercise, the key is just doing it... I got a waterrower as a birthday present. I like the design, which encourages me to use this machine. I watched some youtube videos for the right technique, and it looks that I do it quiet right. But sometimes its even not bad to do it wrong, just row with arms, or upper body, or legs only or changing the power ratio, while exercising,
                But the correct movement itself should be maintained as legs, core arms and arms core legs on the way back. the power ratio is 60legs, 20, core and 20 arms and the overall ratio is 1 for pushing and 2 for going back, which gives the muscles a litte time to relax during each stroke. The only muscle group which is not involved is the chest, but this is compensated by push ups...

Comment

If you want to get really specific to paddling you could use the same swim trainers Olympic swimmers use for dry land training.
                  Amazon.com : StretchCordz with Paddles, Green : Sports & Outdoors
                  Last edited by Sliver; 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM.
                  Clayton
                  http://sliverpaddleboards.com

Comment

Been a runner for over 20 years, so my main cardio is through running. I usually go easy through the summer months, I run more often and do Fartlek training starting in October to get ready for the winter surf season.
                    I also do Yoga, meditation, and some body weight floor exercises daily, year round.
                    I have a few ailments (Knee and Hip) that sometimes keep me from running as much as I like, so when that happens I have an OC-1, Outrigger Canoe that I paddle for cardio. It's a great core, lower back and upper thigh strengthener. Also keeps me in the water and mentally strong. I believe you should work out your mind and spirit as much as your physical body for every day life as well as for surfing to your best potential and enjoyment.

A good diet of "REAL FOOD" should go without saying.
                    Last edited by sonOsea; 09-23-2016, 05:29 AM.
                    https://www.instagram.com/sonosea/

Comment

Originally posted by kevin keith View Post

My sister swears by her balance board for core. Seems easy enough to make or cheap enough to buy.
                      I am working on a balance board from scavenged materials. I vacuumed bagged 2 pieces of 3/8 " (9mm) packing crate plywood together using epoxy with 1 layer of 6oz cloth on the outside. Spray paint and stencil graphics similar to a surfboard my son and I did for him. The tube is a throw-away from work. Next step is to epoxy some sand onto the deck for traction and seal the outline edges.

This is a good topic. Since I am landlocked and desk-bound I really need to make a plan since it has not been happening naturally as of late.

http://pushheretosavealife.com

Comment

I went to my pond first time this year and started to paddle. After a mere 250m I had to stop, my shouldermuscles could not do anymore... Totally disappointed, I ruddered 300km during the winter, made some pushups almost every day, do 4-5 times a week a little 10min workout each morning....
                        the I checked the internet and found an interesting surf paddling training course. I "bought" it immediately and now I'm doing an exercise every monrning. It has drills for ocean and pool, and since I do not have the possibilities for those drills, a landlocked section too.
                        After "hopping"through the courses videos I realized, that I do a lot wrong and now I'm trying to change all parts of my paddling. Just after the first lessons, I think I'm already progressing. I will do the drills, get used to my "new" techniques, everything is done on a simple yoga-ball. and I will keep you informed if it works and if I can improve my paddling...
                        In 4 weeks I will go surfing first time this year, hope by then I will be a big step further...

Comment

tomorrow I'm heading to Portugal. I hope my yogaball paddling course helped... I will realize it, in two days time. I will report on the progresses, (or if there are no...). Hope to get "Hot Luzy" on the plane, if lucky I will get some pictures riding her...

Comment

Surfdude.... Do you have a link to the paddling course?
                            Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Yes of course: http://www.surfingpaddling.com

Comment

Working...
                              X