Saying hello, and a question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying hello, and a question.

Hi, Im new to the forum, thought I would say hello, live in cornwall in the south west UK, have just completed my first HWS (7'6 egg) and am already onto the second (7'6 magic carpet), will get round to posting some pics soon I hope. Ive decided to try my hand at designing my next board, have downloaded an old version of AKU shaper ( im using an ancient laptop, probably the last person in the world using windows 7) and I have also downloaded Jedails HBTM, but my laptop wont open it despite downloading the latest version of java, any advice for a very non techy woodworker would be much appreciated. Ive acquired what little knowledge I have of this process from old posts on swaylocks and T2S, so there may well be new ways of going about this by now. Thanks for the advice in advance. PS thanks to all who share knowledge and the free templates for the boards I've already made, I will look out the names and give credit where its due when posting pictures.

Welcome to the WBF Pip!
    I'm not too computer savvy and know nothing when it comes to a PC. Someone will sort you soon enough.
    Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Welcome to WBF!
      Regarding the Jedail HBTM: I'm using it on my Office PC with Windows 7 Version 6.01, Service Pack 1 and it works. Does it not open at all, or does something appear on the screen? I had problems too, but I can not remember how I solved it. If I click the icon on my desktop a security question appears, but I can confirm to open it, although it is declared as "dangerous" by the system and then it works. Within the desktop link (click right button of mouse) the following target appears "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_141\bin\javaws.exe" -localfile -J-Djnlp.application.href=http://jedail.free.fr/programs/HBTM2.jnlp "C:\Users\uwe.schellhaas\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java \Deployment\cache\6.0\52\1e803ef4-7198c5bf", but I assume this was done automatically on installation.
      Did the installation place an icon on your desktop? What happens exactly if you click it?
      The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Comment

Hello Surfdude, thanks for the help, I've just tried again and it goes like this: click on link to hbtm as found googling "jedail hbtm", get a message bar at bottom of screen asking if I want to open, download or save this file (have tried all three) then get a window saying "windows cant open this file" and giving me the option of choosing which programme to use or using the internet to search for a programme. Maybe I will just try paper and pen.

Comment

You have to go into your java settings and put the the program on the exemption list for it to run. It’s in the java control panel, add the file name to the list. If not, your computer will say it’s dangerous and not run it
          Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway.

Comment

Yes, Grant is right, I remember again...
            See the following pic, to be found under the Java Icon Settings Security, unfortunately its in german, but should look similar in english versions... Click image for larger version

Name:	Java.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	5568
            The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Comment

Working...
            X