cedar foil barges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cedar foil barges

hi dudes. good stuff here. hoping to contribute something of value.

just finished a hollow cedar foil board. didn't keep good track of the build as i was prototyping. about to start another and will detail the process in this thread.

attached are a few photos of the prototype.

Last edited by stoney baloney; 09-21-2018, 06:19 PM.

overall very happy with the results, but have not ridden. perhaps this will serve as a cautionary tale on what not to do

Comment

Board looks dope. Looking forward to hearing how it surfs... Foils?

Comment

Looking forward to a ride report...nice looking shape!
        Randy http://clearwoodpaddleboards.com/
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuW...E0CzWCHvzwiVJQ

Comment

looks very good indeed , looking forward to hear how is it in the water.

Comment

By the way, did you already placed the foot strap inserts?

Comment

got out for a proper adventure the other day. 50km total. 38kph max speed. very spirited weather. board is exceeding all expectations. lots of crashing into sandbars at high speeds and torque abuse with a big kite. not gentle riding at all. cant imagine a better way to try and rip the boxes out or encourage some sort of delam or blowout.

i thought the wood board was more of a fun project than an actual weapon. totally surprised. this is the most time ive spent on a wooden craft and didnt think it would be this unique of a feeling. the way boards hang off foils is a good opportunity to observe flex characteristics. i expected wood to be a lot stiffer, and maybe it is in some ways, but the foam board seems very 'dead' comparatively - no flex no feedback. The wood board is almost 'bouncy'. pumping feels completely different. i cant really say if the feeling is better or more effective, but its definitely noticeable and i enjoy the interactivity.

ive noticed that its popular to claim foiling means the board doesnt matter, its just a platform to stand on. that mentality is a justification for the hard chine beveled rails, concave decks, camber rocker... everything is geared towards 'feeling the foil'. ive mostly kite foiled on a slingshot hypermiler which is a good example of all those design elements. the board i surf foiled on was similar.

the more i foil the more i think thats kook shit. touch and go riding is awesome, doing such deep carves that you can utilize your rails is awesome. having enough rocker that you can at least attempt graceful recovery coming down from a big turn or foamy section means you can ride more aggressively. the concave deck is terrible. foils are twitchy enough you dont need even more leverage. it encourages a sort of style that reminds me of riding a unicycle or something. in skateboarding its called 'careful hands' and im not into it. i was so much happier with my riding on this board than the hypermiler that im selling it. at this point it would take some serious convincing to keep me from thinking that foil specific design elements are primarily a money grab. the reason for making a somewhat normal shape was so it could double as a kite board sans foil. didn't expect to get my mind changed like that and appreciate it as a foil board so much.

rode a few laps with just the board and no foil, and while the volume is there the outline isnt full enough especially in the nose to really get on plane and generate / maintain speed in lighter winds. dont expect to ride it foil-less much.

the board floats the foil no problem and has a nice waterline, but i think its a little too small to really be good for foil surfing. could paddle into a wave no problem but any long paddle would be a slog. would not be able to catch anything but vertical walls without a foil.

anyways super transformative experience for me. learned a lot, got my mind changed on some things, and really got the imagination going. i made another model, cut a frame, and milled lumber. will update this thread with photos.

ShaharD i never use straps. i have a twin tip i drag around and try to force myself to ride but just cant get into it. dont really even enjoy snowboarding any more. having my feet immobilized makes my knees hurt

Comment

Sounds like you had a great time! I've always wanted to get into kite boarding, just never had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by stoney baloney View Post
                  got out for a proper adventure the other day. 50km total. 38kph max speed. very spirited weather. board is exceeding all expectations. lots of crashing into sandbars at high speeds and torque abuse with a big kite. not gentle riding at all. cant imagine a better way to try and rip the boxes out or encourage some sort of delam or blowout.

i thought the wood board was more of a fun project than an actual weapon. totally surprised. this is the most time ive spent on a wooden craft and didnt think it would be this unique of a feeling. the way boards hang off foils is a good opportunity to observe flex characteristics. i expected wood to be a lot stiffer, and maybe it is in some ways, but the foam board seems very 'dead' comparatively - no flex no feedback. The wood board is almost 'bouncy'. pumping feels completely different. i cant really say if the feeling is better or more effective, but its definitely noticeable and i enjoy the interactivity.

ive noticed that its popular to claim foiling means the board doesnt matter, its just a platform to stand on. that mentality is a justification for the hard chine beveled rails, concave decks, camber rocker... everything is geared towards 'feeling the foil'. ive mostly kite foiled on a slingshot hypermiler which is a good example of all those design elements. the board i surf foiled on was similar.

the more i foil the more i think thats kook shit. touch and go riding is awesome, doing such deep carves that you can utilize your rails is awesome. having enough rocker that you can at least attempt graceful recovery coming down from a big turn or foamy section means you can ride more aggressively. the concave deck is terrible. foils are twitchy enough you dont need even more leverage. it encourages a sort of style that reminds me of riding a unicycle or something. in skateboarding its called 'careful hands' and im not into it. i was so much happier with my riding on this board than the hypermiler that im selling it. at this point it would take some serious convincing to keep me from thinking that foil specific design elements are primarily a money grab. the reason for making a somewhat normal shape was so it could double as a kite board sans foil. didn't expect to get my mind changed like that and appreciate it as a foil board so much.

rode a few laps with just the board and no foil, and while the volume is there the outline isnt full enough especially in the nose to really get on plane and generate / maintain speed in lighter winds. dont expect to ride it foil-less much.

the board floats the foil no problem and has a nice waterline, but i think its a little too small to really be good for foil surfing. could paddle into a wave no problem but any long paddle would be a slog. would not be able to catch anything but vertical walls without a foil.

anyways super transformative experience for me. learned a lot, got my mind changed on some things, and really got the imagination going. i made another model, cut a frame, and milled lumber. will update this thread with photos.

ShaharD i never use straps. i have a twin tip i drag around and try to force myself to ride but just cant get into it. dont really even enjoy snowboarding any more. having my feet immobilized makes my knees hurt
                  i also love to kite strapless with my surfboard ,i even have a wooden one :-) , i want to get into foiling and it is looks like very difficult without straps but as i see yours photo it is achievable:-)
                  very nice built ...

Comment

Working...
                  X