5’11” Retro(ish) Fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5’11” Retro(ish) Fish

It’s been a while, but I am finally back with a new build. A few years ago I cut out the ribs and spar for a 5’11” Retro-ish Fish, modeled after the Channel Islands Even Keel. They have sat in my garage, taunting me for a while, so it is time to finally crank it out.

using reclaimed old-growth redwood from the school I taught at for 14 years along with some pine that was leftover from a previous non-surfboard related project.

I’ve glued up the deck and bottom panels and started in on the twin keels.

Great to start working again! Pictures soon.
    Deck Bottom Panel

Decks look slick man. Did you make the checkered part? Just a little advice, but redwood doesn't bend so well. Hopefully you don't have a lot of rocker.

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, the checkerboard ‘inlay’ is mine. It was a challenge to make, but it turned out pretty well, i think.

This redwood is really nice. Tight grain, deep color and fairly pliable. Not too much rocker, just 3” in the nose and about 2 in the tail.

Comment

Pretty well is an understatement. That board is going to be a show stopper.

Comment

Looks amazing , it's all ways nice to see some work with different color and types of wood , by your works it is look like the board is jest an excuse

Comment

always of course

Comment

This was old growth redwood with a nice tight grain. I will typically add some steam (wet towels and 2-3 irons set on high) to potential trouble spots, but this stuff was very bendy (plus, you are right, minimal rocker).

Comment

Comment

Lam coat done and about to do the fill coat. Using Enteopy Resin CLR (epoxy) and 2 layers of 4 oz E cloth.

Comment

Comment

After Lam and fill on the bottom. Nose block and tail tips are a Redwood burl that I found on the beach in Capitola about 5 years ago.

Comment

That is very nice i like it alot

Comment

Very nice indeed! Really like the burl nose.
                          Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Working...
                          X