• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bodyboard

Click image for larger version

Name:	629C5643-4ABF-43B2-8A4F-2B25ABA84375.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	6170 In the last two weeks I started building a new bodyboard for my wife. It is a balsa HWS, foam filled, veneered with larch veneer, collapsible to fit into regular flight bagage. Its a new collapsible feature, no ropes, almost invisible, you just see the dividing line of the parts if assembled.
    Prior to publish the method I will test it.
    In the moment I‘m glassing...
    The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Click image for larger version

Name:	B4D05861-8F5B-424C-99B8-8832E3D545B3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	6172 Its always a special moment, when the resin hits the glass and the colours and structures of the wood are popping up.
    The foaming of the HWS frame is an easy job, if deck and bottom is already glued. I think this will be my method for the future, unless negative experiences will occur during the upcoming tests. But I can not see any problems coming up, may be for the connections of the collapsible parts, here or with the steel ropes, but not the foam...

Comment

Even your Bodyboards come in two parts. Well done!

Comment

Nice work! What did you use for the rails? It kinda looks like plywood, but I doubt it. I am also really curious about this new assembly method. Is it all internal or just hidden underneath?

Comment

The rails are 3 6mm Balsa and 3 1mm Larch Veneer Strips glued together, Front and Tail is the same with 4mm Balsa.

The new assembly is all internal, and its really "all". If finished I post some pics from all sides assembled and you will not see anything. It is kind a miracle, but I do not want to publish it, prior to testing. The supplier told me that these "joining devices" not suited for our purposes, but I'm convinced it will work, but I have to seal it against salt water intakes, because corrosity might be a problem. There are three joining devices installed and the technical data says up to 200kg or 2000N longitudinal strength for each. As said it is really a kind of fairy tale or miracle. I guess the devices are not really made for opening and closing 1000th of times, but travelling to the destinations, assembling, leaving for the entire vacation, dissembling and returning 3-4 times a year means less than 10 times a year.... I will see...

Comment

There was a device (that I can't remember what was called) that seemed to be a magnet attached to a drill that when spun would manipulate a screw/bolt below the surface. Pretty cool for hidden fixings.

Comment

Found it!
              http://geekologie.com/2017/06/what-s...-drill-can.php

Comment

Thumbs up! It is the "Lamello Invis Furniture Connector"! (but the price is not that high than in Stew's link. It is about 80$ for the drill device and 4$ per connector, but the smallest amount is 20... The availlable basic set for about 400$ here in Germany contains some drill and installing devices, but those are not really necessary)

Hope it will work out well. As said the only thing I'm really afraid of is corrosion, but I do have a 1mm rubber between the two parts and will protect the three connections with additional O-rings. Upon arrival On vacation I will assemble the board and at the end, I will clean is first with fresh water, prior to dissembling it. And some oil should help if unexspectedly water gets in...
                We will see. In the moment the final epoxy coat is hardening and tommorrow I will assemble the almost ready bodyboard. I will post some pics of the process, then you can see how it works. But there are some Youtube vids with the Lamello Invis System, this is the place where I got the idea. I assume that the forces are not that strong on a bodyboard than on a real surfboard, but in two weeks I will know.
                We have a lot to test in the upcoming vacation, the "Transformer" of my son, my wifes bodyboard and most important my new 4 piece collapsible "Olddudes Own".
                I hope everything will turn out well and we will have an "epic" trip. I will have some time with my family, especialy with my "boys" and last, but not least, the wave forecasts are not too bad...
                Last edited by Olddude; 05-12-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Oh that's excellent to hear! Very interested to see how you get on with it.
                  I would imagine that the rubber will hold the water at bay quite well.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	06085A9C-DD3D-41B4-8FC9-023E6D4F457E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	6209Click image for larger version  Name:	820F7B88-ABF8-44CF-B193-68B462D1D19C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	150.7 KB ID:	6211Click image for larger version  Name:	977F8D2E-B174-492D-B73F-80F654378FD8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	6210 This is how it works:
                    First pic shows the 2 board parts and the accu drill, equipped wirh the invis magnet device.
                    Then the boards are held together, the spring loaded, threaded bolts snug into the nuts.
                    Last pic shows the rotating device, which rotates the interior bolt, screwing themselfs tightly into the nuts.
                    Other pic shows the tightly assembled board...
                    Miracle...

It important, how the device rotates, the draft on the device shows, where to put in onto the connection, it should be over the bolt side, turning to the right, closes the connection, turning left opens it. It does even work over the nut side, but then turning right means closing and left opening, but it is better doing it how its intended, over the bolt side, the magnetic forces are higher and the connection is tighter. Depending on the wood and the distance, holding powers may reach 250 kg, but the connection of the wood and the Invis part may allow only 150, depending on the wood.
                    Last edited by Olddude; 05-13-2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

There are some seriously clever people out there!

Comment

Seems like witchcraft and wizardry to me. Very cool idea though, I hope it works out!

Comment

Working...
                        X