No announcement yet.

Compsand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The net is to add strength. Not rigidity. If that makes sense. I did some tests on pieces of wood. When the net is in tension it is a lot harder to break the wood. It still lets the wood flex though. It also spreads the load over the foam.It's cheap and really light so why not try it. I have gone down to 4mm deck and 3mm bottom. It is basically Kevlar. Twaron is a different brand name. There are different types of vector net. Some has carbon.
    There is a simple valve where the hose connects to the bag that you open or close to control the pressure. I use a bag that I made from clear PVC plastic. The stuff boats or caravans etc use for windows in covers etc. It is thicker than a normal bag as I am using thicker wood. If you are using veneer a normal bag is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
      I'm curious about the net too. Also how do you control the pressure, do you have a valve you cycle, a regulator, or a pressure switch that cycles the pump? I really want to start vacuum bagging for other projects, but the initial cost is high from what I've seen.
      Regarding cost, My little vaccuum compressor was about 60$ on ebay (like many others), the hose valves and vaccuum measure were about 40$, including the bag, which actually is simple plastic foil tube with 1m width. All together should be availlable for 100 to 150€. Since I have it now, I will use it more often, its the ideal clamping device...
      The best surfer is the one with the biggest smile on his face...

Comment

One of these days I'll get around to building a vacuum bag. I really would like one for bending veneers for skateboard decks.

Comment

Once you have the vac pump you will use it for all sorts of things. I have made a few skateboards. As olddude said you can get set up for not too much money. There are loads of videos on YouTube etc how to make one from fridge compressors etc. I think there is a veneer company in the States that sells kits to make pumps.

Comment

One of these days I'll get around to building a vacuum bag. I really would like one for bending veneers for skateboard decks.
            The bag is finally the easiest, you can just tape to plastic sheets together, price goes to zero, you can buy a foil tube with 1m diameter, which is below 10$, the money goes into the first investment, the vaccum compressor plus the measuring gauge and valve. The later may be up to 100$ if combined, but I bought the gauge for less than 20 and a brass valve for about 10, which only needed some teflon tape to make it airtight. It works fine. As said before the compressors at ebay go for about 60, used. I bought a rather small one, its only 3kg and measures about 12x5x8 inches. Its really enough, it may take some seconds longer to evacuate the bag, not more than a minute and I can run it continously for hours. you do not need a vaccuum tank, if the compressor is made for running permanently. Here there are often advertised as "thomas vaccuum pump, oilfree"...

Comment

For skates, check out Roarockit.
              I scored my vacuum set up off Craigslist. Some day I'll get around to using it.
              Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Just checked ebay US, this is similar to what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-2450...cAAOSwLuJa0UYN

Comment

Tons of info here on vacuum with DIY instructions... https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
                  Kook on a wood board.

Comment

Maybe we should make a thread for vacuum bagging. I did see a small vacuum bag using a modified aquarium air pump on a radio controlled airplane forum. It drew enough vacuum for small veneers and fiberglass molded wings. I don't know if it would work for a surfboard based on the volume, but it got me thinking. Using normal pump laws and theory if you had a few lines up in parallel they would draw a larger volume to the same pressure as one pump. If you added pumps in series you could theoretically achieve a higher vacuum. An added bonus of the little pumps is they are designed to run constantly, make very little noise, and are inexpensive. All that being said, I also think by the time you got a few set up to draw a surfboard size volume to the required pressure you would have spent more than buying an actual pump.

I also started to look at vacuum infusion of resin. Easy concept, but a lot of work.

Comment

According to me, the bag volume is just a matter of time, the less air it sucks, the longer it takes, but once empty just the vaccuuming pressure is important. If a small pump can do -0.8bar, the vaccum will be up to -0.8 bar. If all parts are air tight...
                      I compare it with an artifical lake and a dam. The smaller the lake, the sooner it is full, but once it is fully filled, it does not care even if its lake mead. If full one quart added means one quart of overflow... With the vac its just the other way around...

Comment

Again very nice build! I also started to use vacuum lately and want to try the grant newby method. I was looking for a supplier of custom blanks in France and found the deal of your supplier very good. Thanks for sharing. All vacuum related questions I will post in the vacuum thread
                        Last edited by flobo; 04-22-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Second board nearly finished. I have built two boards with direferent construction. It will be interesting to see the weight difference and which lasts better.

Comment

Wood finish looks great! What kind of board is it, long, mini, short? The perspective of the picture makes it difficult to recognize?

Comment

10'6 SUP.
                              Bottom varnished now.
                              Glassed with epoxy. 3-4 build up coats o epoxy and final coat of polyurethane varnish.

Comment

Board looks great, but what is going on with the ripples? Is that just the light hitting it weird or something? I know my terrible glass jobs do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X