Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finbox templates

Hey guys

I am considering using FCS2 boxes on my next board. However, I simply cannot shell out $90 for the template as I can easily cut my own with a CNC router if I have the right dimensions. I'm planning on taking the finbox and adding 1/8" extra around the edge. Sound right? Or - am I crazy?

brad

I would just by a set of boxes then trace around them using a washer to offset, 1/8" seems good to me, onto plywood, masonite, acrylic, or whatever. Maybe add a line onto it for the centerline of the box to make setting it up easier. Cut out the offset shape and sand it smooth for a template.

Cnc just seems overkill for this, unless you want the practice. If you do want the practice I would suggest adding some sort of Mark for the centerline of the fin box. Also if you choose to use a clear plastic like acrylic put measurements engraved on it to measure distance from the centerline to the rail or centerline to centerline of the board. Have it like a shapers square but with routing templates.

Comment

I will try and remember the name. There is a company that does fcs compatible boxes. They are half the price as are the templates etc.
      If you do a good job with the templates on the CNC you might be able to sell a few!

Comment

https://www.gearbox.surf/
        I think they are compatible. You can make wood covers.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
          I would just by a set of boxes then trace around them using a washer to offset, 1/8" seems good to me, onto plywood, masonite, acrylic, or whatever. Maybe add a line onto it for the centerline of the box to make setting it up easier. Cut out the offset shape and sand it smooth for a template.

Cnc just seems overkill for this, unless you want the practice. If you do want the practice I would suggest adding some sort of Mark for the centerline of the fin box. Also if you choose to use a clear plastic like acrylic put measurements engraved on it to measure distance from the centerline to the rail or centerline to centerline of the board. Have it like a shapers square but with routing templates.
          good builds John. To be honest, now that I have gotten reasonably good at the CNC router, it is faster to do it that way. However, I had not thought about working added features into it to make it some kind of shapers square. nice idea. I'll post a pic when I eventually make the thing

Comment

If you do make it more like a shapers square template combo I would definitely pay for one. I'd actually pay for a template square for all the major fin box companies. Bahne, fcs, futures, fcs2.

I have extremely limited access to a laser engraver that could do acrylic templates, but I haven't been able to get enough information on the cam software they use. Basically, I don't know what format I named to save the file as to get one cut out. Life and other projects also always seem to get in the way.

Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
              If you do make it more like a shapers square template combo I would definitely pay for one. I'd actually pay for a template square for all the major fin box companies. Bahne, fcs, futures, fcs2.

I have extremely limited access to a laser engraver that could do acrylic templates, but I haven't been able to get enough information on the cam software they use. Basically, I don't know what format I named to save the file as to get one cut out. Life and other projects also always seem to get in the way.

Good luck with your endeavor and let us know how it turns out!
              I was actually considering going the Acrylic / laser route as well. Its all driven off the same CAD file.

Tell you what. I am a novice shaper (this is my self made 4th board) but am a pretty darn good fabricator. You have quite a bit more experience than I on the shaping side! Lets make a win-win. I was going to make my own design by searching the internet and picking the features that I like. If you have a paper sketch (or pdf, jpg, etc) of what you think would work well, I'll use that as a start and send you an acrylic one for free. This first one just has to be for a FCS2 as that is the box I physically have and want to be able to doublecheck that the laser cut it properly.

Only restriction is that whatever we come up with, I have the rights to reapply and sell if I decide to go that route. PM me or drop me a message at bradbarron@hotmail.com if interested. If not - no worries - I'll make my own way and post when done.

Comment

Haha, let's pump the brakes.

I've only made a few more boards than you, eight total. I just happen to live in a large surfing/board building area and I know what can be helpful for new builders. I also have a background in engineering/mechanic-ing. I could also probably draw up what I have in my mind in autocad to make it easier. I'll try to get something drawn up and sent to you. I might have to leave the fin box portion either dimension less or just a place holder because I don't have any fcs2 boxes to measure.

If you want to try and market/sell it good luck. I think a good idea would be to package it with the correct router bit. It would potentially cost more, but you wouldn't have people complaining because they used the wrong bit and now the board is trashed or the template is trashed.

Comment

Did you look at the gearbox system. 75 US gets you a starter kit. Boxes,template,router bit the whole lot. Hard to beat.

Comment

I have looked at gearboxes several time online and I do like the idea of it and the design. For me personally it's a matter of convenience. I can drive down the road to any number of stores and pick up either futures, fcs, or bahne boxes for a couple dollars a piece. So far my templates have been a piece of plywood with the box shape cut out, which costs me nothing but time. It would be inconvenient and not very cost effective to try and adopt a whole new fin system that I can't pick up replacements for easily.

If I was doing a much higher volume of board building or production boards I would probably look into it because I think it is a better fin system. It's just not for me when I build around 2 boards a year for myself. Then again I love the cheap fcs plugs because they are easy to install, I can add multiple in a row for some adjustments, and I find them to be the easiest to install in wood.

Comment

Working...
                    X