Spooning!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spooning!

So I think I'm going to have a slow meandering build of this board: https://surfboardtemplates.com/board...pe-noseriding/
    (unless anyone has a better suggestion for a 9' board)

Now, I see that it has been been discussed on the Shape Room http://www.shaperoom.net/forum/viewt...hp?f=14&t=9392 but even with google translate it's tricky to follow exactly what was discussed and also my membership there isn't approved yet to ask any follow ups.

I'm curious about the spoon nose. I think that the template doesn't have the spoon in so needs to be added by me before cutting any weight reductions. It might seem like a daft question but does anyone have any views on it? I'm just going to locate the thinnest point (somehow) and then feather it out from there.

I also think that it will give me a good excuse to do a paint job on the bottom as I think there will be a few joints going on that I would want to hide!

Comment

There was a lot of discussion on T2S about the Takayama's ITP (in the pink) and is on my list to build. Lots of discussion on the interweb about his design & the spoon nose.
      Kook on a wood board.

Comment

The frustration of forums disappearing! I shall do some googling.

Comment

I remember seeing a couple on T2S also. There were two ways I remember seeing it done. Both had the spoon built into frame. The first was a straight deck panel glued up like normal and then glued to the frame using a rocker table and shims where the spoon concaved. The builder did some power sanding to give it a more defined outline. The second built his deck panel on the frame plank by plank up to the spoon. Trimmed the spoon outline and sanded it smooth. Then carefully traced and built the spoon out of a complimentary wood and set it in the remaining deck like an inlay. Both boards looked great. The inlay one was top notch though.

Comment

After thinking about it overnight. I think you could build a board as you normally would. Then carefully use a template to route out your spoon on the deck. Then cut or sand the frame underneath the spoon to the desired level. Then fill the spoon with another wood just like an inlay.

Comment

Working...
            X